Re: AW: Problem with Mathematica 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77134] Re: AW: [mg77065] Problem with Mathematica 6
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 03:57:28 -0400 (EDT)

I don't disagree with you but my point was somewhat different. I
seems to me that just as WRI does not "take responsibility" for
changes in functions in contexts like Internal` (one of my favorite
functions has from that context, Internal`DistributedTermsList has
disappeared and got replaced by CoefficientArrays, naturally without
any documentation about this change) so it does not take
responsibility for any incompatibility resulting from modifying built-
in functions by users. I think that is a reasonable policy.
However in this case I admit that my first reaction was based on a
mistaken belief that the change that took place was "invisible" to
the user unless a function was modified. In fact, there seem to have
been significant changes to the pattern matcher which affect even
user defined functions. From what I have been able to discover by
experimenting with pattern matching, they appear to be more
consistent with what one intuitively expects of patterns involving
attributes such as Flat etc. As for your problem: Carl Woll's
solution (using HoldPattern) seems quite satisfactory to me - is
there anything wrong with it?

The only unsatisfactory thing, as far as I am concerned, is that the
changes to the pattern matcher appear to be completely undocumented.

Andrzej Kozlowski

On 3 Jun 2007, at 19:04, Michael Weyrauch wrote:

> Dear Andrzej,
>
>   thanks very much for your answers.
>
> In this particular case, I dare to disagree with you and David
> Withoff.
>
> The reason is twofold:
>
> 1) NonCommutativeMultiply is a completely featureless function, just
>    implemented with the Attributes Flat and OneIdentity. So by
> changing
>    it, you cannot really interfere with anything. (At least this is my
> opinion and
>    experience. Of course, I do not really know the actual
> implementation.)
>
> 2) If you give a self-implemented function the attributes Flat and
> OneIdentity
>    you run into the same issues I described in my post.
>
> So the issue really is connected with the handling of the
> Attributes Flat
> and OneIdentity, which obviously changed from Mathematica 5.2 to 6.0 as the
> post
> by Carl Woll and your own investigations suggest.
>
> At this moment, it is hard for me to judge, if the new behaviour is
> "better"
> or not.
> I just have little criteria how it should work.
> I just realize that the code for Grassmann variables I use does not
> work
> in Mathematica 6.0.
>
> I need to investigate this further.
>
> Michael

>>> Fermion[a__] := ((Grading[#1] = 1) & ) /@ {a};
>>> Fermion[a, b];
>>> GetGradeds[a___] := GetGradeds[a] = Select[{a}, Grading[#1] != 0
>>> & ];
>>>
>>> Unprotect[NonCommutativeMultiply];
>>> NonCommutativeMultiply[a___] /; (Length[GetGradeds[a]] <= 1) :=
>>> Times[a];
>>> Protect[NonCommutativeMultiply];
>>>
>>> If you now e.g. evaluate
>>>
>>> In[22]:= k ** l
>>> Out[22]= k*l
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> In[23]:= a ** l
>>> Out[23]= a*l
>>>
>>> BUT in Mathematica 6.0:
>>>
>>> In[24]:= a ** b
>>>
>>> $IterationLimit::"itlim" : "Iteration limit of 4096 exceeded. \
>>> \!\(\*ButtonBox["\[RightSkeleton]",
>>> BaseStyle->"Link",
>>> ButtonData:>"paclet:ref/message/$IterationLimit/itlim",
>>> ButtonFrame->None,
>>> ButtonNote->"$IterationLimit::itlim"]\)"