Re: Fun with zero sums

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77152] Re: Fun with zero sums
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 06:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/4/07 at 3:56 AM, DWCantrell at sigmaxi.net (David W.Cantrell)
wrote:

>I'm using Mathematica 5.2; if Mathematica 6 behaves differently, I'd
>be interested to know it.

Version 6 results:

In[1]:= Sum[0, {n, Infinity}]

Out[1]= 0

In[2]:= Sum[0^n, {n, Infinity}]

Out[2]= 0

In[3]:= Sum[0^(2*n - 1), {n, Infinity}]

Out[3]= ComplexInfinity

In[4]:= Sum[0^(2*n + 1), {n, Infinity}]

Out[4]= Indeterminate

Given 2 is correct, the results from the last two seem rather unexpected.