Re: Developing Applications using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77412] Re: Developing Applications using Mathematica
  • From: "atul" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

Mark: There is another option that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned.
Although I can't claim to have applied it in a large scale setting, I have
had occasion to develop a GUI front-end for colleagues who are not seasoned
Mathematica users (nursing and technical staff in a children's hospital
dialysis unit). This application uses Mathematica to  perform the background
calculations for modeling of hemodialysis  quality control,
what-if-scenarios, and individualized prescription development. Details of
our model, if relevant to the scale of your project, may be found in our
published references, which I would be glad to send you. They include
Pediatr Nephrol (2001) 16:383-390 (a review of urea kinetic modeling in
dialysis) and Kidney International, Vol. 58 (2000), pp. 2138-2146 (our
specific physiologic model):

Since familiarity with Excel is widespread (it is the hospital standard for
ordering, inventory, and routine data management and reporting), using
Mathematica Link for Excel makes for a very familiar interface, and allows
the results from Mathematica to be extracted and manipulated by users who
might otherwise balk at working directly with Mathematica output (eg
administrative staff making year-end reports).

On another occasion, I had to develop a pre-test evaluation for a novel test
of kidney function that we perform in our Clinical Investigation Unit
(again, model details - if required - may be found in our published
description). Our CIU nurses were required to input baseline data to
estimate pharmacokinetic profiles needed to perform the test, with modeling
done behind the scenes and output in the form of loading doses and infusion
rates for the individual studies. In this case, broad familiarity with Excel
again made it a logical choice for interface/ data reporting. However,
because the CIU represented a different cost-center and our university does
not have a site license with WRI, I was obliged to adopt a 'rival CAS' with
an existing site license and - as it turns out - built-in Excel
connectivity. Although I grumbled about it at the time,  from the
perspective of the end-users, the underlying calculation engine was
obviously of no great concern, and in both cases, my work was immensely
simpler because I had access to the built-in instruction sets.

Atul
Atul Sharma MD,
Pediatric Nephrologist,
Montreal Children's Hospital/McGill University

news:f3r96l$t5f$1 at smc.vnet.net...