Re: NIntegrate with change of variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77494] Re: NIntegrate with change of variables
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:23:46 -0400 (EDT)

chuck009 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on contour integrals using NIntegrate.  Can I specify a transformation rule that would replace both the variable of integration as well as the differential?  For example, suppose I wish to integrate f(z)dz around the unit circle, that is z=Exp[i t].  Well I could make the transformation:
>
> NIntegrate[f[z] /. z->Exp[i t],{t,-pi, pi}] but that does not replace dz with its equivalent in terms of t, that is:
>
> dz=i Exp[i t] dt
>
> The correct form to integrate would be:
>
> NIntegrate[f[Exp[i t]] i Exp[i t],{t,-pi, pi}]
>
> Is there a way to define a transformation rule that would make both those substitutions for unspecified z=g(t)?

You can define a function that handles both the change of variable and
the chain rule [1]. For instance,

In[1]:=
ContourIntegrate[f_, par : (z_ -> g_), {t_, a_, b_}] :=
    NIntegrate[Evaluate[(f /. par)*D[g, t]], {t, a, b}]

ContourIntegrate[1/(z - 1/2), z -> Exp[I*t]*(2*Cos[t] + 1),
    {t, -Pi, Pi}]

Out[2]=
            -17
-5.55112 10    + 12.5664 I