Fast interactive graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77485] Fast interactive graphics
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

In version 6 I want to do interactive graphics where I use a controller to
manipulate the shape of a curved 2-dimensional manifold (for instance). This
is a type of interaction with Mathematica that should be of interest to lots
of people.

The main problem that I have is that the redraw time after each controller
movement is quite long. I need continuous feedback so that I can immediately
see the effect of making various controller movements, so using
ContinuousAction->False in Manipulate (for instance) doesn't solve this
problem. I have tried various shortcuts such as skeletonising the graphic
during updates so that it redraws quicker, but it is still too slow, and
will get worse for the more complicated graphics that I really want to work
on.

As a general solution it would be great if it was possible to control the
redrawing of graphics so that only those parts that need to be redrawn are
actually redrawn, with the user taking responsibility for any consequential
errors in the accumulated graphics rendering. Here I don't want to simply
zoom the graphic to limit the rendered region, because I want to
interactively see the impact of my manipulations in the context of the whole
graphic.

Does anyone know a way of imposing this type of control (see above) on
graphics rendering, or is it not actually possible in Mathematica? I think
the answer is no, but I just want to make sure that I haven't overlooked a
trick here.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK