Re: Normally Distributed Random Matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77579] Re: Normally Distributed Random Matrix
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:33:19 -0400 (EDT)

amitsoni.1984 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to create a normally distributed random matrix in Mathematica.
> I'm using the following code in Mathematica 5.2:
>
> ------------- code -----------------------------
> << Statistics`NormalDistribution`
> n = 500;
> A = RandomArray[NormalDistribution[], {n, n}]
>
> But it is not working even though it worked when I did it earlier on
> Linux. When I enter A it just gives:

> RandomArray[NormalDistribution[], {500, 500}]
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thank you,
> Amit

It looks like the package has not been loaded correctly or that the
definition is hidden for some reason. Having loaded the package,
evaluate ?NormalDistribution : you must get a help message; otherwise
something is wrong with the installed package. For instance,

In[1]:=
$Version
<< "Statistics`NormalDistribution`"
?NormalDistribution
n = 500;
Timing[A = RandomArray[NormalDistribution[], {n, n}]; ][[1]]
Dimensions[A]

Out[1]=
5.2 for Microsoft Windows (June 20, 2005)

NormalDistribution[mu, sigma] represents the normal (Gaussian)
distribution with mean mu and standard deviation sigma.

Out[5]=
0.219 Second

Out[6]=
{500,500}