OpenSSH mathlink remote kernel connection problem.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77597] OpenSSH mathlink remote kernel connection problem.
  • From: anguzman at ing.uchile.cl
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:43:09 -0400 (EDT)

I\'ve installed in my winxp, Mathematica 5.2.0 and cygwin + OpenSSH
client (and server). I\'d like to stablish a mathlink connection to a
remote Kernel (Mathematica 5.0) on an external machine in a Linux net.
I can\'t access the external machine directly from my house (the
winxp) via ssh, but I created a SSH-tunnel from my local 11111 port to
the remote-machine by-passing the gate server. I also have dsa-key
pairs in the right places so I can connect to the Linux net directly
without writing a password.
Summarizing, I can:
-Execute from the command-prompt:

"C:\\cygwin\\bin\\ssh.exe\" -p 11111 myusername@localhost math

..and work with mathematica 5.0 in the remote machine. (in the command
line, I don\'t worry about the Front End)

But I can\'t:
-Start the remote Kernel from the front end in my winxp.
I\'ve created a Remote Machine Kernel and its \"Kernel Configuration
Options..." are:

Arguments to MLOpen:

-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

And the \"Shell command to Launch Kernel\"

"C:\\cygwin\\bin\\ssh.exe\" -p 11111 myusername@localhost \" math
-mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName `linkname` \"

After that, I try to execute a simple operation in the remote kernel
(say..2+2) and several things happen:
-The operation hangs
-My winxp , which uses core 2 duo, rise up at 50% in both processors
as I can see on the Task Manager, (in the MathKernel.exe process)..
-the following process starts in the remote machine:
/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.0/SysytemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux/MathKe=
rnel -mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName
2250 at 192.168.0.100,2251 at 192.168.0.100

After a few minutes, both processes stop, the notebook stops being hanged
but I don't get to know how much 2+2 is...

I suspect on the 192.168.0.100 . I use a router and this is my local
IP. Why does this number appear? Shouldn\'t be something related to my
\"real-IP\"?

Thanks in advance for any comment-help..

Atte. Andres Guzman