Re: Are comments safe inside notebook cells in Mathematica 6?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77632] Re: [mg77553] Are comments safe inside notebook cells in Mathematica 6?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 05:23:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:19:10 -0400 (EDT), Andrew Moylan wrote:
> Prior to version 6, it has been considered unsafe to place comments (*
> like this *) inside e.g. Input cells, because it could lead to
> Mathematica corrupting the underlying notebook. Can anyone comment on
> whether this is still the case in version 6?

Many of these problems have been fixed.  I don't want to make any absolute
guarantees that no such problems exist anymore (it is enormously difficult and
time-consuming to prove a total absence of such bugs), but I can say with
considerable certainty that 6.0 is much better than 5.2 in this regard.

I believe some problems yet remain when mixing styles and comments, but the
presence and configurability of the syntax coloring features will hopefully makethis less of an issue.  Aside from that, I think we've cracked most of these
problems, and I'll be curious to hear people's experiences.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group