De: Sseziwa Mukasa [mailto:mukasa at jeol.com]
Enviado el: Mi=E9rcoles, 13 de Junio de 2007 06:26 a.m.
Para: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Asunto: [mg77566] Re: [mg77529] What is the compatibility guide?

On Jun 12, 2007, at 1:20 AM, Andrew Moylan wrote:

> Sometimes Mathematica advises me to look in the compatibility guide:
>
> "NumericalMath`IntervalRoots` is now obsolete. The legacy version
> being loaded may conflict with current Mathematica functionality. See
> the Compatibility Guide for updating information."
>
> What is this compatibility guide? Needless to say, the new help system
> is of no use in locating it...

There is no "Compatibility Guide" and I wish the documentation didn't
refer to it.

As far as I can tell whenever I get that warning the package or
function I am using has been superseded by another in version 6 but
it's not trivial to find the replacement.  In this case after two
false starts, I started looking at the documentation of FindRoot
since that's related to the function in NumericalMath`IntervalRoots`,
in the See Also section I noticed a function named RootIntervals but
it doesn't seem as general as the functions in IntervalRoots since it
only works on polynomials.

Perhaps IntervalRoots is using functions internally that have been
superseded by others and hasn't been updated yet, so the message is
essentially harmless.

Regards,

Ssezi