Re: newlines, newlines ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77709] Re: [mg77669] newlines, newlines ...
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:37:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:17:26 -0400 (EDT), alexxx.magni at gmail.com wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way, in M, to Print without getting a
> newline each time.
> It happens often to me when debugging, to introduce some kind of
> progress indicator, say:
>
> Print[Floor[100*i/max_i], "%"]
>
> but I didnt want to clutter the screen so much. Besides, hundreds of
> other possibilities come to mind when thinking about output without
> ending newline...

Not with Print[], but you might be interested in the new version 6 function,
PrintTemporary[], which prints cells that go away when evaluation is completed.
This would make the clutter only tempmorary.

> As a side note, trying to solve this (minor) problem, I happened to
> find:
>
> ProgressIndicator[Dynamic[x]]
>
> something which seemed perfect!
> Yet, I'm still unable to use it: for some reasons it is not updated
> <until> the calculation (which requires the progress indicator) is
> finished. At that point, useless, the bar moves from zero to full (and
> yes, dynamic updating is enabled)

My guess is that you've made ProgressIndicator part of the output, in which case
you won't see it until the output is sent to the FE.  You need something which
produces an immediate side effect rather than a final output, which is exactly
what Print and PrintTemporary do.  For example...

PrintTemporary[ProgressIndicator[Dynamic[x]]]

> Any hint for either problem is really welcome!
>
> Alessandro Magni

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com