Re: Riddle with Ordering

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77947] Re: [mg77904] Riddle with Ordering
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
On 19 Jun 2007, at 19:44, nazdrovje at gmail.com wrote:

> Just a gem I discovered with Ordering[ ].
>
> Anyone have an idea what
>
> SomeArrayWithUniqueReals // Ordering // Ordering
>
> does?
>
> I like this, especially the double use of Ordering. Answer tomorrow.

Iit's not much of a riddle for anyone who has been reading carefully
this forum for a while as it has turned up more than once.  It gives
you the permutation which will turn Sort[AnyList] into AnyList.   In
other words:

Sort[AnyList][[Ordering[Ordering[AnyList]]]] == Anylist

This means, in particular, that if AnyPermuation is any permutation:

Ordering[Ordering[AnyPermuation]]==AnyPermutation

Moreover, AnyList does not have to be a list of reals, or even a list
of numbers, and its elements need not be distinct.

Andrzej Kozlowski