Re: PrimePi and limit of argument

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78087] Re: [mg77911] PrimePi and limit of argument
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:49:05 -0400 (EDT)

If you decide to compute PrimePi[100] by hand, you might take a piece of
paper and write down the primes up to 97, then count them. If you try the
same method for PrimePi[10^15], you'll need a bigger piece of paper.

But you'll need a lot MORE than a bigger piece of paper -- you'll need a
smarter algorithm, or you'll never live long enough. And that's what
Mathematica is telling you; the PrimePi method has an upper ceiling,
independent of how big your machine might be.

You may as well demand a general solution in radicals for 7th-degree
polynomials.

7 isn't a large number, but even so, it can't be done... even if your
machine is bigger than the universe.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com