comparing rewite rules

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78329] comparing rewite rules
  • From: dbsearch04 at yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:31:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Mathematica UG:

I input these 2 simple rewrite rule sets into Mathematica V5:

- {yy -> 4, y -> 3}

- {y -> 3, yy -> 4}

I just want to compare these 2 simple rules for equality. I tried:

- define each one and use % == %% (this just gives: {yy -> 4, y -> 3}
 == {y -> 3, yy -> 4} )
- making a symbol for each rule set and using ==, such as rul0 ==
rul1,
 it just echoes my input

I also tried to replace the rules in an expression. If the replaced
result evaluates to a simple expression, it is OK but, it still fails
sometime when Mathematica reorders expressions, such as when x-1 becomes -1 +

Is it possible to determine in my code that 2 "rule lists" are the
same?

Of course, in the general case, I will have many more rules than just
these 2 small lists (e.g. Solve[] output).

Thanks in advance.

Regards..Roger