Re: Bug with Limit?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74006] Re: Bug with Limit?
  • From: Eric Smith <eric at brouhaha.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 04:55:02 -0500 (EST)

Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> writes:
> There is no reason why any compromises should be made in
> design of Mathematica to deal with problems of students who do not
> have yet acquired sufficient understanding of the mathematical
> concepts involved.

No one is asking for that.  But it would be nice if the Help Browser
page for the Limit function made it explicit that if a direction
is not specified, a default direction is used.  Otherwise there
will be people who think that omitting the direction indicates that
a non-directional limit is being requested.

Yes, if one digs into the documentation far enough, the information
is there.  But this is significant enough to merit mention on the
Limit page.

> In my opinion, this is a problem for educators and
> not for the designers of Mathematica.

Making the documentation clear is a problem for the designers
of Mathematica.