Re: need MathLie mathematica package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74005] Re: need MathLie mathematica package
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 04:54:29 -0500 (EST)

In article <esdjs1$orm$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Jean-Marc Gulliet" <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I replied to the OP, I was not aware that a book containing the
> package have been published. Indeed, I was amused by the OP's request,
> since when I tried the obvious, a very simple search with Google using
> "MathLie" as keyword, Google returned around 470 hits, and the first
> link returned was the incriminated one!
>
> "Index of /pub/Mathematica/MathLie ... LieBaecklundSymmetry.m
> 11-May-1999 14:17 47k [ ] LieIntegrate.m 11-May-1999 14:17 29k [ ]
> MathLie.m 11-May-1999 14:17 ...
> ftp.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/MathLie/ - 3k - Cached - Similar pages"
> (First hit out of 470 returned by Google with the keyword "MathLie",
> Saturday, March 3, 2007, 10 AM (GMT))
>
> This link points to a public directory hosted on an official
> departmental web server of a reputed university. (We are not talking
> about a student's personal web page nor a peer-to-peer file sever
> illegally holding copyrighted material.)

Although this directory is on our ftp server, it should not have been
visible, certainly not without permission from Gerd, outside the UWA
Physics network.

> Moreover, at first glance, there is no files that seem to contain any
> copyright notice or restriction of some sort (contrary to what it is
> customary to do on a file server when the material is copyrighted).
>
> Also, these files have been hosted on this public directory since mid-1999.
>
> Now, it is still possible, though very unlikely, that the physics
> department of the University of Western Australia illegally hosts some
> copyrighted material on its public server since 1999. However, this is
> not the first thing that came up to my mind when I replied to the OP.

I think the file permissions got changed between 1999 and the present.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul