[Admin] Missing Posts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74149] [Admin] Missing Posts
  • From: Steve Christensen <steve at smc.vnet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:10:49 -0500 (EST)

It has been pointed out to me (very firmly) that some posts have not
been getting out to the Newsgroup and mailing list recently.

I have investigated and after backtracking up the line from my local
servers and mail clients to my ISP and beyond I find that some messages
are getting flagged as spam and therefore are not getting to my server.
They are put into folders with the 40,000 or so spam messages that have
come my way in the last few weeks.

I have done a search and collected the posts that I can find that should
have gone out and will be mailing them all out along with this message.

My apologies for this.  I will try to find a way to train the spam
filters that are doing this to to avoid it, but I have no direct
influence on those servers - yet.

But - in the future, if you do not see your messages in say 24 hours,
email me directly at steve at smc.vnet.net. Put MISSING POSTS in the
Subject line.  It may be that even that email will not get to me
due to spam filtering, so you might try emailing someone else you know
who is using the list and ask them to forward your MISSING POSTS problem.

Also note, that there are ISP's that think that the posts from MathGroup
are spam and block them.  Comcast and AOL in particular seem to have
this problem.   I have contacted them to fix this, but they don't always
want to undo their spam filters.  In other cases, I find that mail gets
rejected because mailboxes fill up and the ISP rejects them.  I try to
contact the user who has that problem, but since their email box is
full, they don't even get that email.

It is also a good idea to NOT submit html mail or any attachments.  This
will cause some spam filters to reject the mail.

Steve Christensen
Moderator