Re: Initialization cell appearance

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74395] Re: Initialization cell appearance
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:06:54 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> There is a small bug in your code though (the definition of isinit).

oops, did not check the last change I guess, sorry. It was just a sketch
of how this can be handled, for production use you might need some
additional checks, e.g. to make sure that the selections are what you
think...

> Typically I would use this with
>
> nb = NotebookOpen[<path to some notebook file>]
>
> and I think I will turn it into a utility function.  I suppose it could also
> be implemented as a replacement rule on the notebook expression.   Would
> this be faster, I wonder ?

I don't know if it would be faster, probably yes, but there are issues
with this approach which might or might not be a problem for your use case:

- You will have to read the Notebook-EXPRESSION from the Notebook-OBJECT
and transform it. This will be _another_ Notebook-EXPRESSION, which you
can turn into a new Notebook-OBJECT (and show it in a window) with
NotebookPut or write it back to a file. Would you want to replace the
old file, what happens with the still open and unchanged Notebook? You
probably need to close it before overwriting it. I think you will need
to be careful about what you are doing with this approach, otherwise you
might even loose data. Anyway it is for sure different from changing the
actual Notebook-OBJECT "in place"...

- _If_ you are using a StyleSheet which has definitions of Cell-Styles
that are Initialization-Cells by default, you cannot detect that by
simple Pattern-Matching of the Notebook-Expression but have to analyse
the StyleSheet as well. This might not be an issue for you, but has to
be considered if you want robust code...

hth,

albert