Re: Fourier and InverseFourier

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75502] Re: Fourier and InverseFourier
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 03:47:12 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/2/07 at 3:56 AM, josh2499 at hotmail.com (rob) wrote:

>Hi, thanks for responding. No, I'm not sure it exists. I tried
>Exp[-t^2] and it doesn't work either. I haven't yet found a case
>where InverseFourierTransform[] works so I suspect I'm still doing
>something wrong.

Are you certain you've not previously defined one or more of the
variables before attempting the InverseTransform? I have no
difficulty with eitehr Exp[-t] or Exp[-t^2] here. That is:

In[1]:=
InverseFourierTransform[Exp[-t], t, w]

Out[1]=
Sqrt[2*Pi]*DiracDelta[w - I]

In[2]:=
InverseFourierTransform[Exp[-t^2], t, w]

Out[2]=
1/(E^(w^2/4)*Sqrt[2])

In[3]:=
$Version