Problem with reading version 4.2 DumpSave files,...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75540] Problem with reading version 4.2 DumpSave files,...
  • From: terry <terryisnow at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 04:20:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mathematica Guru's,

Because of a Mathematica bug (which still isn't fixed in the just
released version 6), my version 4.2 DumpSave files cannot be read by
my version 5.2. So as a result I'm trying to find a way to _exactly_
write out these numbers to a pure ascii text file from within 4.2,
then read them in as text and convert them back into number form
within 5.2 without losing any digits. Any idea's how I could
accomplish this simply?

Note that simply saving the approximate real numbers with Save[] and
retreiving them will not work in this case because Save[] 'distorts'
the numbers even if they are loaded back into the same version of
Mathematica (when it converts to base 10 and back).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Terry