Re: Non-calculus vector math

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75699] Re: Non-calculus vector math
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 04:19:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,

if you want to algebraically calculate with base vectors, nothing

prevents you doing it. However, it would probably make life easier if

you define some properties of your base vectors, depending on your

application E.g.  metric properties, like:

i^2=1, i.j=0, ..

You can change from base vectors to components by substitution:

expression /. {i->{1,0,0},j->{0,1,0},k->{0,0,1}}

and back:

expression /. {x_,y_,z_}->x i+ y j + k z

hope this helps, Daniel