Re: Re: What happened to the

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75742] Re: [mg75673] Re: What happened to the
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 04:42:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2007 05:55:29 -0400 (EDT), David Bailey wrote:
> Chris Chiasson wrote:
>
>> On 5/6/07, Barthelet, Luc <lucb at ea.com> wrote:
>>> I am with Murray on this. I have not used the old interface for a
>>> long time
>>> now, and yes, at first I complained about not having it. The new one
>>> works
>>> fine.
>>> Plus :
>>> 1) some of the tutorials are just fantastic!
>>> 2) the help system is constantly updating from the online connection
>>> so it
>>> gets better and better.
>>> 3) the information is usually more relevant
>>>
>> How is the help system constantly updated? Is that mentioned in the
>> software somewhere?
>>
> The help system is incomplete as usually installed, and acquires
> additional information from the Wolfram website as required.
>
> David Bailey
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Actually, the help system is complete as installed.  David is thinking of some
of the beta versions where we didn't bundle all of the documentation, but all
documentation did ship with the released 6.0 version.

While I'm talking about this, I'll also address the questions people have asked
about how the documentation gets its updates.  Mathematica downloads an index
from a Wolfram server containing version information about all of the
documentation files.  This is done at startup if the index hasn't been updated
in more than a week.  Then, any individual files which the cached index
indicates need to be updated will be loaded as you view them.

You can control the updating system in the Internet Connectivity tab of the
Preferences dialog.  You can use this dialog box to force an immediate update or
to prevent update checks altogether.

As of this moment, there are only a few documentation files on the server which
are newer than the versions which were installed.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group