Re: Re: Format->Magnification does not work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75855] Re: [mg75772] Re: Format->Magnification does not work
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 03:01:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 May 2007 05:14:34 -0400 (EDT), roby.nowak at gmail.com wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>> Notebook-level magnification doesn't override cell or selection-level
>> magnification.  I suspect you are working in a notebook where you've
>> selected all of the cells and set the magnification in the Format menu.
>>
>> To remove the magnification applied at the cells, select all of the
>> cells and open the Option Inspector.  Choose Cell Options->Display
>> Options. You should see a blue 'x' to the left of the word
>> "Magnification".  Click it to make it go away, or alternatively, type
>> the word 'Inherited' (without quotes) for the value of the Magnification
>> option.
>>
>> Notebook-level magnification should now be fully effective.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> John Fultz
>> jfu... at wolfram.com
>> User Interface Group
>> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>
> dear john,
>
> could you please activate <File><Print Settings><Show Page Breaks>
> (Windows XP SP2) then again try to cahnge the magnification. it doesent
> work for me although the bottom line indicates a changed magnification
> number.
>
> every thing works well when <File><Print Settings><Show Page Breaks>
> is disabled.
>
> is it a bug or am i realy missing something ?
>
> regards robert

Yes, this is true.  This is because the stylesheet specifies a reduced
magnification for objects when they're being printed (somewhat more globally
than was done in previous versions) and the notebook-level magnification won't
override it.  The behavior is, in fact, by design, although I'll concede that
the implications here are unfortunate.

This hasn't, historically, been the only issue related to magnification and
viewing page breaks.  There are some underlying design issues (rather more
technical than I'm willing to get into here) which are thorny and require
further thought.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com