Re: Jlink executable

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75926] Re: [mg75809] Jlink executable
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 05:54:06 -0400 (EDT)

At 04:23 AM 5/11/2007, alexxx.magni at gmail.com wrote:
>As a side observation on a previous post of mine on memory usage under
>the new version 6.0,
>can somebody point me in the right direction to understand why we have
>now a separate Jlink process (at least here, on Linux)?
>I ask because I don't use Java nor I'll use it in the future, yet I
>see that Jlink is the process "eating" more memory than all the
>others... if only I could shut it down.
>The revamped doumentation center is more confusing for me at first, so
>I don't know where to search....
>
>thanks for any help

Alessandro,

The Java executable you see is a component of the Mathematica system.
It is indeed the standard J/Link process you get if you call
InstallJava[], it's just that InstallJava[] is now called
automatically during Mathematica startup. A number of operations in
Mathematica have some of their functionality implemented in Java
(navigation and live updating of the documentation system is an example).

The memory use that you see reported for the Java process differs
widely depending on the operating system, and it is not generally an
accurate measure of the true memory usage of currently "live" Java
objects. Nevertheless, we are taking steps to reduce the memory
requirements of the Java operations we perform, and you will see this
in a future version.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research