Re: Problem with reading version 4.2 DumpSave files,...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75992] Re: Problem with reading version 4.2 DumpSave files,...
  • From: terry <terryisnow at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 03:52:06 -0400 (EDT)

Ok I've completed my testing finally. It turns out that the solution
to my problems is simpler than I ever would have thought. It appears
that the problems I've had with the Save[] command not faithfully
saving real numbers only affects version 3.0. When I run the following
code in version 3.0, it never takes long before the loop exits
indicating that what was saved by Save[] does not match what was read
back in. However in version 4.2, try as I may I could not get the loop
to terminate. So that's it, I can just re-save all my real numbers in
4.2 using the Save[] function then read them in from my 5.2 instance.
Thanks again for everyone's input (and especially Chris for giving me
the idea to re-test the Save[] function)!

Terry

P.S. Here's the code I used for testing:

x = True;
While[x,
   targetFunction = 537932*Random[Real,{1,27}]^3;
   targetFunction2 = targetFunction;

   Save["temp",targetFunction2];
   Clear[targetFunction2];
   Get["temp"];
   DeleteFile["temp"];

   x = RealDigits[targetFunction2,2] == RealDigits[targetFunction, 2];
   If[x == False,
      Print[RealDigits[targetFunction,2]];
      Print[RealDigits[targetFunction2,2]];
   ];