TeXForm and custom LaTeX macros

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76145] TeXForm and custom LaTeX macros
  • From: Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I'm not having much luck customising the output from TeXForm. I'm a
bit of a new user of Mathematica, I'm afraid.

I would like to be able to do something like this:
  Format[dddot[x_], TeXForm] := "\dddot{" <> ToString[x] <> "}"
  dddot[y] // TeXForm

and get output of
  \dddot{y}

but obviously that doesn't happen. In fact, I don't even understand
the output of Mathematica at all (v6):
  \text{$\backslash \backslash $dddot$\{$y$\}$}

Why are there *two* backslashes in there? I can see that it's trying
to get the "\dddot" printed literally in the TeX output, but that's
not very useful to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Will Robertson