Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76114] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: Mark Adler <madler at alumni.caltech.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:38:37 -0400 (EDT)

On May 15, 2:18 am, Bhuvanesh <lalu_bh... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> the latter approach was chosen to make it clear that this
> was a new implementation, and Random[] was left as-is.

Ah, my mistake.  Since the "compatibility" check of the notebook was
suggesting changing all of my Random[] calls, I assumed incorrectly
that Random[] would no longer work.  In fact Random[] backward
compatibility has been maintained.

The "compatibility" check should provide more information about its
suggestions when they aren't really compatibility issues, but rather
recommended performance improvements.

> In any case, you don't really need to load the package; you can use
> the symbols in contexted form, as in Developer`ToPackedArray[array].

That's a good solution to the Needs[] error.  I have updated my
package to do that, removed the Developer` from the BeginPackage
header, and now it works.  Thanks!

Mark