Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76137] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:50:25 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> To one of your specifics:
>
> Did you search for ToPackedArray in the search bar on the Documentation
> Center?  It would immediately take you to the "home page" for this
> function.  Evidently this is no longer in any add-on package, let alone
> the old tenuous-status Developer context.

It is still in the Developer context. The problem is not that you cannot
find its documentation page if you search for it, but that now it is
much more difficult to just "stumble upon" this functionality if you do
not know that it exists.

The new help browser lets you search if you know what you are looking
for. But in the old help system you could just browse the functions and
see what they do (and learn a lot this way).

The new help has some advantages; I just don't understand why did they
take away the always-visible, hierarchical table of contexts and the
master index. Why can't we have both the search and an organised table
of contents?