Mouse movement speeds up and CityData Help Doesn't work?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76197] Mouse movement speeds up and CityData Help Doesn't work?
  • From: Uncle Paul <paul@!!@desinc.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:12:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Overall, I am very impressed with mathematica 6.0.  There are a few
gotchas for old users.  Watch out for Show[].  It scales to the first
plot and will truncate based on order!!!  Still, the plotting is
excellent, just use PlotRange->All.

First question is why does my mouse slow down when using Mathematica
and them speed up later?

Second, I can't get the example stuff under ref/CityData to execute.
Particularly...

ListLogPlot[
 Reverse[Sort[
     CityData[#, "Population"] & /@
      CityData[{All, #}]]] & /@ {"Alabama", "Alaska", "Arizona",
   "Arkansas", "California"}]

and

ListPlot3D[{CityData[#, "Longitude"], CityData[#, "Latitude"],
    CityData[#, "Elevation"]} & /@ CityData[{All, "Colorado"}],
 ColorFunction -> "Topographic", MeshFunctions -> {#3 &}]

I have Internet access and it show download progressing.  Is there
somewhere we can get the source DVD?  I'd give up 4.7GB to have
encyclopedia Mathematica on my computer ;)

For those who haven't tried Mathematica.  Now is the time.  It is MUCH
better than before.  The inconsistencies are dissapearing.  Very nice
job Wolfram and company.

Thanks for anyone who can help!
Paul