Re: Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76194] Re: [mg76099] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:11:05 -0400 (EDT)

 =

  =

> setting, not Mathematica.

I belatedly realize that can't be true.

No matter how sensitive (or not) the mouse may be, the maximum mouse  =

movement (equal to the visible height of the control) must equate to  =

moving through ALL members in the list. So the speed at which the list  =

flies by, for ANY given mouse movement, is (and has to be, for a slider)=
  =

proportional to the number of entries in the list.

Hence sliders are tolerable for small lists, intolerable for very long  =

lists. For a list with millions of entries, one pixel of mouse movement =
on  =

the screen could equate to thousands of entries, but maybe we're only  =

seeing five or ten.

Screen resolution has an effect; high resolution => short visible cont=
rol  =

=> faster movement through the list. I run my screen at 1280x1024, so =
the  =

"speed" I'm looking at is 25% greater than what you'd see at 1024x768.

No?

Bobby

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:22:08 -0500, Yu-Sung Chang <yusung at wolfram.com>  =

  =

> by "Panel".
>>
>> ColorData::notprop: Images is not a known property for ColorData. Use=
 \
>> ColorData["Properties"] for a list of properties.
>>
>> And neither ColorData["Legacy"][LightGreen] nor  =

>> ColorData["Legacy"][PaleGreen] returns a color (RGB code).
> The name should be given as a string (otherwise, there would be no poi=
nt  =

> of having this special paclet, since they were already symbols).  =

> ColorData[] does not define new symbols.
>>
>> How do I Plot on a PaleGoldenrod background?
>>
>> Plot[Sin[x], {x, -Pi, Pi}, Background -> PaleGoldenrod]
> Background->ColorData["Legacy", "PaleGoldenrod"]
> Please remember that there are a lot of overlaps in names between colo=
r  =

> sets. For instance, our "Legacy" color set (derived from  =

> Graphics`Colors`) and "HTML" named color set share a huge number of  =

> names (and the defined colors are different).
>>
>>> Please refer ColorData documentation for further information. Also,
>>> there is an interactive palette under "Palettes" menu, called
>>> "ColorSchemes", which will display all the available colors.
>>
>> When I select "Named" and "Legacy", I get a scroll bar that's unusabl=
e.  =

 =

 =

  =

 =

> working notebook. For various reasons, but mainly because some  =

> functionalities (for instance, "Insert") want to know the focused  =

> notebook. The workaround is making shortcuts from some unassigned keys=
,  =

 =

  =

> buttons at the top and bottom for single step moves.
>
> Also, the documentation deals with the function in great detail. Many =
of  =

> your questions are already answered in there (first few "basic"  =

> examples).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Yu-Sung Chang
> Kernel Technology