Re: Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76242] Re: [mg76099] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 06:16:33 -0400 (EDT)

> Even worse, if the entry is not discrete, but continuous,
> there is no guarantee that you will get a wanted value.

This is backwards; there's no way to get all real values in an interval =
 =

ANYWAY.

Sliders are appropriate for setting real-valued quantities, not discrete=
  =

ones like the index into a list.

Bobby

On Thu, 17 May 2007 10:05:40 -0500, Yu-Sung Chang <yusung at wolfram.com>  =

 =

> representing. Even worse, if the entry is not discrete, but continuous=
,  =

> there is no guarantee that you will get a wanted value.
> Scrollbar is obviously better option for this particular case (palette=
),  =

> but unfortunately, we don't have scrollbar (yet) due to few reasons. B=
ut  =

> it will be revised in the future.
>
> Yu-Sung Chang
> Kernel Technology
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>
> DrMajorBob wrote:
>>> slider moves directly to the mouse position. Concerning the slider  =

>>> speed, we found that it is reasonably responsive (not too fast or no=
t  =

>>> too slow) for many. Actually, it is up to the system mouse sensitivi=
ty  =

 =

 =

>> moving through ALL members in the list. So the speed at which the lis=
t  =

>> flies by, for ANY given mouse movement, is (and has to be, for a  =

>> slider) proportional to the number of entries in the list.
>>
>> Hence sliders are tolerable for small lists, intolerable for very lon=
g  =

>> lists. For a list with millions of entries, one pixel of mouse moveme=
nt  =

>> on the screen could equate to thousands of entries, but maybe we're  =

>> only seeing five or ten.
>>
>> Screen resolution has an effect; high resolution => short visible  =

>> control => faster movement through the list. I run my screen at  =

>> 1280x1024, so the "speed" I'm looking at is 25% greater than what you=
'd  =

>> see at 1024x768.
>>
>> No?

-- =