Re: Mathematica 6 review [first impressions]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76384] Re: [mg76372] Mathematica 6 review [first impressions]
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 05:56:39 -0400 (EDT)

In  I made a mistake in example 2. It does illustrate my point but
being disconnected it is rather trivial from the point of view of
topology). A better one is this:

ContourPlot3D[((Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] - 2)^2 + z^2 -
      0.3) ((Sqrt[(x - 6)^2 + (y + 6)^2] - 2)^2 + z^2 -
      0.3) ((Sqrt[(x + 6)^2 + (y + 6)^2] - 2)^2 + z^2 - 0.3) -
   3000, {x, -3 - 6, 3 + 6}, {y, -3 - 6, 3 + 6}, {z, -3, 3}, Contours
-> {0},
  Mesh -> None, Axes -> False, ContourStyle -> Red, Boxed -> False]

Its a connected real algebraic surface of  genus 3, and  the fact
that Mathematica can create it at all, and that one can manipulate it
i real time is pretty impressive. ( However, in terms of performance
and accuracy it is still well behind Jens' MathGl3d ).

Andrzej Kozlowski