Re: Antialiasing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76698] Re: Antialiasing
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 04:25:07 -0400 (EDT)

dimitris wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to get the effect of Antialiasing of version 6 (as I
> saw here:
> http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Antialiasing.html )
>
> in version 5.2?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Dimitris

This is one solution:

http://members.wri.com/jeffb/visualization/aa2.shtml

It is slow, consumes a lot of memory and produces bitmap images that
cannot be resized [without quality loss]. Because of the way Mathematica
scales graphics (changes ImageSize, not ImageResolution), this approach
results in all objects whose size was specified in absolute units being
shrunk by a factor of 4. (Most notably it affects line widths and font
sizes.)

An alternative solution is to use GhostScript as an external PostScript
rasteriser, import the bitmap image produced by it and display the image
in the notebook. But this also produces unresizable bitmaps.

I am also curious if it is possible to get the Mathematica 5.2 Front
End to use a different PostScript interpreter than the default one. Is
it possible to extend the Front End this way? I guess the answer is no
because I already asked this in a previous post and got no reply.

Szabolcs