Re: Compatibility woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76750] Re: Compatibility woes
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 04:52:01 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/25/07 at 6:37 AM, jfultz at wolfram.com (John Fultz) wrote:

>We're always open to suggestions, but I'm afraid there will always
>be some dispute due to conflicting priorities of different
>users. For this particular case, I would suggest that maybe we should
>consider putting it in the Preferences dialog (which would then
>control global behavior), but I think taking it out of the menus was
>probably justifiable.  In fact, if you set the option setting at the
>global scope, you may never need the menu item, either.

While I definitely understand your reasoning here, for myself, I
would prefer to have the ability to easily toggle display of the
In/Out tags.

=46or my normal workflow I prefer having the In/Out tags
displayed. I often find I want to re-execute something in the
course of working with a given notebook. Perhaps simply to
change what data I am plotting or to change some minor
parameter. Mathematica of course makes it easy to do this by
simply editing an existing cell and re-executing. The In/Out
numbers make it easy for me to determine when I have done this
and easily use results of something I had not specifically
assigned to a variable.

But once I've adjusted things to my liking for say a particular
plot, I sometimes want to share that plot with a colleague who
doesn't use Mathematica. A simple way to do that is select the
cell and "print" it to a PDF file on Mac OS X. But for this plot
I do not want the In/Out tags to show up. Hence the desire to
easily toggle whether they appear or not.