Re: Mathematica V6. ComplexMap

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76792] Re: [mg76686] Mathematica V6. ComplexMap
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 05:02:58 -0400 (EDT)

Although Mathematica 6.0 gives a General::obspkg warning message when
you load the old Graphics`ComplexMap` package, I don't see anything in
it that's incompatible with 6.0.  The public names Lines, PolarMap, and
CartesianMap do not clash with any built-in 6.0 names.  And at least on
the examples I've tried, you get *almost the same results as when you
used the package with earlier versions.

The "almost" qualifier owes to the fact that the plots now use 6.0's
default coloring scheme for the successive curves.  To my eye it
enhances things, helping one a bit to be able to trace which image curve
comes from which curve in the domain, especially if you make a
GraphicsRow with both the domain and codomain, e.g., like this:

   GraphicsRow[{PolarMap[ Identity, {0, 2, 1/2}, {-Pi, Pi, Pi/6}],
   PolarMap[ Sqrt, {0, 2, 1/2}, {-Pi, Pi, Pi/6}]}, ImageSize -> 72*8]

If you don't like the colors, roll your own or insert the option
PlotStyle->Black inside each PolarMap or CartesianMap expression.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305