Re: Re: Re: What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76811] Re: [mg76799] Re: [mg76728] Re: What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 00:50:46 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

>On 26 May 2007, at 17:40, Helen Read wrote:
>

>>David W.Cantrell wrote:

>>>Perhaps have them define their own
>>>
>>>realCubeRoot[x_]:= Sign[x] Abs[x]^(1/3)
>>>
>>>which plots as desired, of course.
>>>

>>Well, yes, but it's kind of a pain to have to define their own root
>>functions this way on an individual basis. (Not to mention, it
>>completely hoses the derivative. Try realCubeRoot'[x] or
>>realCubeRoot'[-8] and see what you get.)
>>
>>I was hoping for a more convenient way to do this in Mathematica 6.0.
>>Surely it *knows* the real nth roots of x for n odd and x<0. It
>>would be
>>nice to be able to define f[x_]=x^(1/3) or x^(3/5) or whatever and
>>just
>>set some option to make it return the real value for x<0.
>>
>>--
>>Helen Read
>>University of Vermont
>>

>Yes, it knows it, and there is a way of expressing it, but I am sure
>you won't like it.
>
>realCubeRoot[x_] := Root[#^3 - x &, 1]
>
>Now,
>
>realCubeRoot[-1]
>-1
>
>etc. Plotting is no problem. Moreover you can differentiate, but only
>using D !
>
>  D[realCubeRoot[x], x] /. x -> 8
>  1/12
>
>It won't work with Derivative :
>
>realCubeRoot'[x]
>0
>
>And just in case anyone thinks of reporting the last output as a bug
>to WRI, this has been known ever since RootObject appeared in version
>3 of Mathematica.
>
>Andrzej Kozlowski

If we change the definition of realCubeRoot to avoid the use of Slots
(#), then we can get Derivative to work as well:

In[35]:= realCubeRoot[x_] := Root[Function[z, z^3 - x], 1]

In[36]:= realCubeRoot'[x]
Out[36]= 1/(3 Root[#1^3-x&,1]^2)

However, note the unfortunate reappearance of Slot in the result.

Carl Woll
Wolfram Research