Re: messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76896] Re: [mg76715] messages
  • From: "Lev Bishop" <lev.bishop+mathgroup at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 05:07:13 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/26/07, dimitris <dimmechan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Do you have any solution for the following messages
>
> (It appears on a new window during the saving procedure)
>
> Part of the path C:\Documents and Settings\D.S. Anagnostou\?p?f??e?a
> e??as?a? does not exist. Unable to save file C:\Documents and Settings
> \D.S. Anagnostou\?p?f??e?a e??as?a?\Untitled-1.nb.

My guess is that you have non-ascii characters in the path you are
trying to save to. Mathematica seems to only use the obsolete _A
versions of the win32 API routines, which can only represent the
subset of characters that exists in the current codepage. It should be
using the more modern _W versions of the routines, which can take
unicode paths and filenames. Look:

$ objdump -p Mathematica.exe | grep 'A$'
	10e64	    0  SHGetFolderPathA
	10f04	   83  CreateFileA
	10f12	  320  GetCurrentDirectoryA
	10f76	   96  CreateMutexA
	10f86	  107  CreateSemaphoreA
	10fa8	  594  LoadLibraryA
	10ee4	  439  GetStartupInfoA
	10fd0	  381  GetModuleFileNameA
	11548	  921  WriteConsoleA
	10ebe	  102  CreateProcessA
	10eb0	  131  DeleteFileA
	10e9a	  350  GetFileAttributesA
	10e86	  383  GetModuleHandleA
	10fb8	  778  SetCurrentDirectoryA
	11168	  272  GetCommandLineA
	1117a	  489  GetVersionExA
	113c2	  580  LCMapStringA
	113f8	  246  FreeEnvironmentStringsA
	114b8	  442  GetStringTypeA
	114e4	  372  GetLocaleInfoA
	11066	  158  DialogBoxParamA
	11028	  252  GetClassNameA
	10ff4	  571  SendMessageA
	11038	  448  LoadImageA
	110e6	  472  RegDeleteValueA
	110d4	  516  RegSetValueExA
	110c4	  492  RegOpenKeyExA
	110b0	  497  RegQueryInfoKeyA
	110a0	  481  RegEnumValueA
	110f8	  292  GetUserNameA
	11116	   52  FindExecutableA

$ objdump -p Mathematica.exe | grep 'W$'
	1156e	  931  WriteConsoleW
	113e8	  581  LCMapStringW
	1142a	  247  FreeEnvironmentStringsW
	11444	  343  GetEnvironmentStringsW
	114ca	  445  GetStringTypeW

If you can just rename your directories so they can be represented in
"WindowsANSI" CharacterEncoding. Ie, so that
ToString[x, CharacterEncoding -> "WindowsANSI"] === x
gives True.

Lev