Re: $10K Mathematica Machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76935] Re: $10K Mathematica Machine
  • From: Mark Westwood <markc.westwood at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 05:23:46 -0400 (EDT)

Scott

I will happily sell you the excellent computer on my desk for $10K

but if that isn't an attractive enough offer I would look at these
factors:

a) Go 64 bit
b) processor speed -- the faster the better;
c) RAM -- more is better;
d) there is no d in my list.

So, just buy the fastest 64-bit processor you can find, and stuff as
much memory into the can as you have dollars left to spend.  Salvage a
keyboard, mouse and CRT from an old PC and away you go.  Don't forget
a Mathematica licence.

I haven't done any comparison of Mathematica on different O/S's,
though others have and you might like to consult their data, do a
search in this group for performance comparisons.

I'd need some convincing that multi-core processors are a necessity or
even a nice-to-have.  The big question would be 'does Mathematica take
advantage of multi-cores for the kinds of computation that I am
doing ?'   And I'd want to see some data on this.

Regards
Mark Westwood