Re: Problem with supplying custom tick marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82986] Re: Problem with supplying custom tick marks
  • From: Thomas E Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 03:40:50 -0500 (EST)

Private communication with David Park leads us to conclude that we
are supposed to interpret "across" as left-to-right in the following
bit of one-line help:

"Tick mark lengths are given as a fraction of the distance across the
whole plot."

In other words, the lengths of ticks for both axes are to be
specified as a fraction of the total horizontal extent, so a y-tick
length of 1 would extend across to the far edge of the frame, and x-
tick length of 1 would be equally long. That's what we see in
exported plots, and that's what we see on screen, once we have
resized the graphic (no matter how trivially) with the mouse. What we
see on screen before resizing, however, is that the x-tick length is
proportional to the vertical extent of the plot. These x-ticks jump
to their correct (we presume) lengths the first time one resizes the
graph with the mouse.

Which leads to this question: Is there a programmatic way to do the
equivalent of resizing?

Tom

PS. I prepared a notebook demonstrating most of the above, but didn't
feel it worth sending to MathGroup. Write me if interested.

David Park had written: