Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83317] Re: memory release problem in mathematica6.0
  • From: Nacho <ncc1701zzz at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 05:26:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello.

I think that your confusion is because Mathematica also saves a copy
of the results in the Out[] array. Every operation is saved, so you
can recall any previous output (and input). It is saved even if you
use ; to discard the output.

I have found that when working with bif data sets or a lot of time,
the memory consumption is bigger and bigger.

You can limit the amount of history length with the variable
$HistoryLength

For example, if the first execution you do in Mathematica is

$HistoryLength=2;

only the 2 last results will be saved.

You can disable all the output history with $HistoryLength=0 but then
you cannot use % to call the previous result.

with $HistoryLength=0 you can run a = RandomInteger[10, 10000000];
Clear[a] as much as you want, but the memory is increased just the
first time,

Hope this help.

Regards.