Re: negative FileByteCount

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83562] Re: negative FileByteCount
  • From: rych <rychphd at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:48:01 -0500 (EST)

Very interesting replies, thank you very much. I don't want to load
the whole file into memory, the main, virtual or whatever, but I do
want to have an access to it. The C runtime fopen() gives me a handle
to my big file (and to the biggest files on my harddisk, which are now
a couple of HD films). Then I can read from it with a trivial C code.
Why can't I do the same from Mathematica?

In[3]:= snum = OpenRead["scandata.xyz"]
Out[3]= InputStream["scandata.xyz", 29]
In[4]:= FileByteCount["scandata.xyz"]
Out[4]= -936210076