Re: trying to Import[] USGS-resident DEM data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83563] Re: trying to Import[] USGS-resident DEM data
  • From: mcmcclur at unca.edu
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:28:05 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 22, 5:01 am, congruentialumina... at yahoo.com wrote:
> I am still trying to wrap my head around the need for the
> hh[] construct, since it is apparently not used in the final
> RepliefPlot invocation.

The hh and the dd are arbitrary symbols that I chose as
heads to indicate the location of certain types of file
information.  The symbol hh stands for header and one
parameter in the header indicates the length of the next
row.  The symbol dd stands for data, since this is where the
actual list of elevations for the row occurs.  Note that the
function, row, operates on {hh,dd} pairs.  Certainly, nested
lists could have been used. I like to use specific heads to
indicate specific types of data, since I think it it makes
the code more understandable and can be easier with respect
to certain operations, like Flatten.

> Also, I am hopeful that some future point release of V6 will
> resolve the issue using the built-in Import[] function.

While not certain, I *believe* that further developement is
planned for geospatial file formats.  I would particlarly
like to see shape file import.

I'm glad the code helped,
Mark