Modifying the Default stylesheet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81674] Modifying the Default stylesheet?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:47:52 -0400 (EDT)

1)  I do essentially all my notebooks in a single default format or
stylesheet, which I'd like to edit in some trivial ways (e.g., change
the working Text font to Helvetica.

What's the recommended procedure for doing this?  Can I (should I) edit
the Default.nb file directly?  Or better to create a new myDefault.nb
style?  How do I do this, and where do I put it?

[And is there somewhere I can read about this (or actually get a step by
step description of how to do it) without getting lost deep in a
sequence of infinitely cascading "Help" files?]

2)  As a trivial add-on point: The Format >> Style menu brings up a
submenu that shows you the Style you (or someone) selected for a given
cell (the selected Style is checked).

The Format >> Stylesheet menu brings up a submenu that *doesn't*
indicate the Stylesheet that you (or someone) selected for the selected
notebook (the selected Stylesheet is *not* checked).

Why not?