Re: advanced fill effects for graphics primitives

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81656] Re: advanced fill effects for graphics primitives
  • From: "sdw" <warwick at jps.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:38:36 -0400 (EDT)

this is better, although still weak since it only applies to polygons.  I
was hoping to see fill functions defined for the graphics primitives circle,
rect etc..

the general case for rect I am forced to use to define a raster with
colorfunction.   this doesn't work for circles.

it is also horrible from a performance perspective.  it also requires
excessive work on the part of the user to develop gradient fills where the
fills are not uniform, not perpendicular to the xy axis or line-hatching
styles.   not that I like it, but when specifying fill styles in ex.el or
vis.o, you do get this kind of patterns, although not very flexible.   these
options should be available as part of plot, listplot, barchart,  pie chart.

I also note that if I do use raster to develop a fill pattern,  I cannot
combine it with another  primitive in order to get a non-rectangular shape,
such as circle - there is no way to "clip" the raster to a graphics shape.
vis.o, for example, supports the concept of combining, intersection, union
of shapes.

another rich area for discussion is the concept of time-varying plots and
charts.  dynamic got us started, now show us how to capture the dynamic
output into a .mov or .gif file for embedding into presentation
applications!

 I believe that wolfram has a great opportunity to expand their
functionality in the area of data visualization and charting.  Even if there
are ways for users to cobble together solutions,  it is not efficient that
we individually re-invent the wheel.

thanks for your thoughtful response.

news:fdl9i0$d35$1 at smc.vnet.net...