Re: Install problem, 6.0, Mac OS 10.4.10: No kernel connect?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81670] Re: Install problem, 6.0, Mac OS 10.4.10: No kernel connect?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:45:48 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-on to recent post in which I wrote:

> Installed Mathematica 6.0.1 from purchased CD to Applications folder on
> MacBook running OS 10.4.10 and having 5.1 already installed --
> installation process all seemed to go OK.
> Dbl-clicked the app, it started up; supplied Password as requested.  The
> "About Mathematica" box shows correct name, license number, etc.;
> opening an old notebook produces green bar across top suggesting a
> compatibility scan; new notebook window can also be opened -- but
> invoking any menu command or attempting to execute any cell lin
> either of these cases leads to dialog box:
>    "Mathematica could not establish a connection to the kernel.
>     Kernel: Local.
>     Low-level MathLink error: Launch failed."
> Restarting the Mac doesn't help.

After posting, I shut the Mac down overnight.  This morning:

*  All old notebooks now seem to have new icons (although old 5.1 package
   is still in the Applications folder, along with new 6.0 package).

*  Double-clicking an old notebook opens it in 6.0 & it runs (executes).

*  Clicking the Scan button in the green Mathematica Version Advisory
   bar at the top of the notebook window produces no visible effect,
   dialog, message, or any indication that anything has happened.

*  Selecting the Help >> Documentation Center or Help >>Find Selected
   Function menu commands produces no effect (not even a "Can't find
   kernel" message, as it did last night).  Clicking the Menu >> Wolfram
   Website command opens Safari and takes me to the site.

*  On the Startup Palette, clicking the "First Five Minute in Mathematica" or the
   "Doc. Center" items produces no result; clicking the "What's New in 6"
   or "Demo. Projects" items takes me to associated sites.

Unless others have other advice, I propose to:

*  Burn my bridges:  Delete *everything* associated with Mathematica
   5.1 OR with 6.0 that I can find anywhere on my hard disk (including
   plist files, etc).  (I'll keep a backup).

*  Shut down overnight again.

*  Reinstall the next morning from the 6.0.1 CD shipped to me by
   Wolfram in July or Aug 07 (not the 6.0 CD originally shipped to me
   in April or May 07).  (I had tried both of these before my first post,
   and gotten identical results.)

Other advice?