Trouble saving Version 6 notebook when Juniper SSL VPN is on

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81757] Trouble saving Version 6 notebook when Juniper SSL VPN is on
  • From: Mark Fisher <particlefilter at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:24:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I'm having a peculiar problem and I was wondering if anyone else has
run into this and/or has any ideas as to how to fix it.

In order to see some internal web pages I need to "run" Juniper SSL
VPN. But this creates a problem saving notebooks in Version 6 (and not
in Version 5.2). Basically, Mathematica goes into "Not responding"
mode (I'm using WinXP Pro SP2) for some time. Consequently, a small
notebook (~50KB) will take 10 seconds to save and a large notebook
(~50MB) will take 5 minutes (times approximate). Once I log out of
Juniper, Mathematica goes back to saving notebooks as normal. (Things
are even more puzzling because recently Juniper did not affect saving
for a few minutes.)

Is Mathematica trying to get to the internet and being temporarily
thwarted by Juniper? I tried editing the preferences, unchecking
"Allow Mathematica to access the Internet", but that made no
difference.

What is Version 6.0.1 doing that Version 5.2 is not doing when saving
notebooks?

--Mark