Re: Interpolating Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81819] Re: Interpolating Functions
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 04:23:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

since you give no example I have to make my own

sol = With[{gamma = 0.25, k = 1},
   NDSolve[
     {x''[t] + gamma*x'[t] + k*x[t] == 0,
      x[0] == 2, x'[0] == 0,
      \[ScriptCapitalL]'[t] == x'[t]^2/2 + k*x[t]^2/2,
      \[ScriptCapitalL][0] == 0}, {\[ScriptCapitalL][t], x[t]}, {t, 0,
      20}][[1]]
   ]

The energy loss is
d\[ScriptCapitalE] = D[\[ScriptCapitalL][t] /. sol, t]

and a plot of it is

Plot[d\[ScriptCapitalE], {t, 0, 20}]

Why you wish to integrate over time *after* you solve the
equations of motion because NDSolve[] does nothing
else than a time integration and in the worst case you get
a waring that NDSolve[] will try to solve a differential
algebraic equation.

Regards
   Jens