FrameLabel in v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81851] FrameLabel in v6.0
  • From: Xerxes <saul.cohen at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 04:44:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I've been really enjoying all the advances that have been made
with Mathematica 6.0. However, there are a few problems which
are pure headache; this is one where I cannot see a workaround:

In v6.0, FrameLabel places the labels unacceptably far away from
the graph. See this comparison of two should-be-identical sample
plots made in v5.1 and v6.0:

http://www.jlab.org/~sdcohen/framelabel-51.gif
http://www.jlab.org/~sdcohen/framelabel-60.png

In v5.1, the labels are no more than 1 "x"-height from the ticks,
whereas in v6.0, they are at least 3. This means that the
improved trimming of whitespace in v6.0 is almost entirely ruined
by the addition of whitespace between the Ticks and the
FrameLabel. Does anyone know a way, short of manually
placing Text objects over a FullGraphics version of the plot to
move the labels back where they belong? Are there any plans
to rectify this behavior in future versions?

Thanks,
Saul Cohen

PS: I have attached the code used to generate the graphs.

Export["framelabel-60.png",
 Rasterize[
  Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True, FrameLabel -> {x, x^2},
   TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Times", FontSize -> 16},
   PlotLabel -> StyleForm[$Version, FontSize -> 10],
   ImageSize -> 300], ImageSize -> 300, RasterSize -> 600],
 ImageSize -> 600]

Export["framelabel-51.gif",
   Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True,
      FrameLabel -> TraditionalForm /@ {x, x^2},
      TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Times", FontSize -> 16},
      PlotLabel -> StyleForm[$Version, FontSize -> 10],
      ImageSize -> 300],
  "GIF", ImageSize -> 300, ImageResolution -> 144]