Dashing[] problem with eps -> pdf -> printer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81969] Dashing[] problem with eps -> pdf -> printer
  • From: Mark Fisher <particlefilter at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 00:01:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I create graphs in Mathematica, export them to EPS, import them into
my papers using LaTeX and convert the DVI file to PDF. The PDF looks
great on screen, but there is a problem when I print. The problem is
that dashing lines (that appear on screen) do not appear in the
printed version. (With my father's printer, the dashing lines do
appear, but they are solid, not dashing.)

The problem can be replicated without using LaTeX, by directly
distilling the EPS graph to PDF. Here is an example:

dashingstyle = Dashing[Join[{.10}, Table[.007, {9}], {1}]];
frameplot =
 Graphics[{{dashingstyle, Line[{{-1, 0}, {1, 0}}]}}, Frame -> True,
  FrameTicks -> None, FrameStyle -> dashingstyle, PlotRange -> 1]

Export["frameplot.eps", frameplot]

Then distill frameplot.eps -> frameplot.pdf. It looks fine on screen,
but on my printer (HP LaserJet 1012) the printed version is blank! (If
I include non-dashing lines, they print fine.)  I use Abode distiller
Version 7. I've tried Version 5 as well.

Any ideas as to what's behind this? This may not be a Mathematica
problem but it is disconcerting.

--Mark