FunctionExpand problem in version 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82000] FunctionExpand problem in version 6
  • From: michael.p.croucher at googlemail.com
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 05:35:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All

In version 5.2 If I do

FunctionExpand[Sin[Pi/13]]

I get a very complicated result involving lots of square roots.  This
is also mentioned here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TrigonometryAnglesPi13.html

But if I do the same thing in version 6.0 then I just get the result

Sin[Pi/13]

Which is not nearly as impressive.  What has changed with the
FunctionExpand function in v6 that causes this and how do I get the
original behaviour?

Best Regards,
Mike