Re: NumberForm question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82010] Re: NumberForm question
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 05:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/8/07 at 2:03 AM, yaroslavvb at gmail.com (Yaroslav Bulatov) wrote:

>x=1+$MachineEpsilon; InputForm[x] NumberForm[x,{16,16}]

>Why does the result printed by NumberForm seem smaller?

They use different fonts. I would expect InputForm to use
whatever font format you have set in your preferences for input
while NumberForm will use what ever font defaults you set up for output.

In my case, I have input set to StandardForm while output set to
TraditionalForm and see two different fonts when I copy your
code into a new cell. But if I do:

x=1+$MachineEpsilon;
InputForm[x]
NumberForm[x,{16,16}]//StandardForm

both lines appear to be the same size on my system.